“Animation can explain whatever the mind of man can conceive. This facility makes it the most versatile and explicit means of communication yet devised for quick mass appreciation.”
- Walt Disney
Paper Cut Computer Animation: 101
This course will train students on how to make a compelling 2D animated video using modern hardware and computer software. This program is appropriate for students aged 12 to 16. Students will learn:
1. The basics of animation using the paper cut method
2. Storyboarding, script development, character design
3. Stop motion animation fundamentals
4. Production flow and process in producing animation
5. Prop creation for papercut animation
6. Animate, shoot, and edit a 3-5 minute final project
The course has 12 modules of one hour each that can be combined into two or three modules per session.
Module Number Content
1. Introduction to Animation, the Animation Process
2. Introduction to Work Flow, Script Writing, Storyboarding, Character Design, and Environmental Design
3. Step by Step Animation
4. Script Writing and Storyboarding
5. Character and Environment Design
6. Character and Environment Templates
7. Building the Character and Story
8. Constructing the Environment
9. Layout and Shooting
10. Editing and Refining
11 . Adding Sound, Music, and Special Effects
12. Presentation and Critiques
- Students will be equipped with the skills to self-produce further projects after this program with minimum hardware investment.
- Students will need a laptop computer and will be provided with the software required.
- Class size will be kept small and the instruction is largely hands-on and project based.
- Cost: S$600 per student.